The Respecting Choices approach to advance care planning (ACP) integrates person-centered and family-oriented conversations. This approach results in a shared decision-making process that results in the creation of advance directives that reflect individualized goals of care. This person-centered approach to conversations recognizes that ACP is not a "one size fits all" process. Respecting Choices has designed a staged approach for ACP (First Steps®, Next Steps, and Last Steps®), and offers three certification programs to support each stage. These programs prepare ACP facilitators to meet the unique planning needs of individuals throughout their various stages of health.
Our training programs blend classroom learning with online courses. The online courses include:
- ACP Facilitator Online Curriculum
- Module 1: First Steps Advance Care Planning Facilitation Overview
- Module 2: Facilitating First Steps Advance Care Planning Conversations
- Module 3: Facilitating First Steps Advance Care Planning Conversations with Adults with Chronic Illness
- Module 4: Communication Skills For Facilitating Advance Care Planning Conversations
- Module 5: Facilitating Last Steps Advance Care Planning Conversations
- Module 6: Facilitating Next Steps Advance Care Planning Conversations
- Basic Concepts in Advance Care Planning
- The Role of the RN in Advance Care Planning
After completing all course-specific modules and the evaluations, you will receive access to print a certificate of completion. Go to http://www.gundersenhealth.org/respecting-choices/training-and-certification/online-courses for complete course information including continuing education credits, conflict of interest statements, and financial disclosures.